Re: [2.2.13aa6 (bugfix release II) ]

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 10:42:38 +0100 (CET)

On 20 Dec 1999, ursus wrote:

>I upgraded a cluster of servers (Compaq 6400R, 2 x PIII-500)
>from 2.2.13ac3 to 2.2.13aa6+raid-0.90 (and the incremental
>"set_blocksize" patch you kindly provided) and Don Becker's

That's a fine kernel ;)

>[..] I just had one of the servers
>crash with the following error (seen before under 2.2.13ac3):

I changed nothing in my aa patches related to the problem you have, so
it's normal you get it as in the 2.2.13ac3 kernel.

Your report gives interesting info, thanks.

>to add "nosmp noapic", and I'll see if the servers
>run stable w/o SMP ... this isn't a real solution

I bet it will be rock solid in UP. This looks like a genuine SMP race (of
course trusting it's not an hardware issue).

>assuming I can nail down this SMP problem :)

We'll nail it down ;).

> I see a patch regarding bh_latency for 2.2.14pre;
> does this address the above "wait_on_bh" problem?

It's won't help you, it's performance stuff (and it's not complete yet).

Andrea