Re: Ok, making ready for pre-2.4 and code-freeze..

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 02:05:29 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Rogier Wolff wrote:

> > mmap64(...)
> > {
> > if (offset & 0xfff)
> > return -EINVAL;
>
> You meant
>
> if (offset & 0xfff) {
> errno = EINVAL;
> return -1;
> }
>
> right?

Right. I'm just so used to the internal kernel logic that I no longer even
remember how it was done in user land..

The kernel way of returning errors has obviously shown itself to be the
much nicer one - imagine how much easier threading UNIX would have been if
we didn't have that one "errno" global - it's one of the few fundamental
globals used in standard libraries. But I'm not going to re-make all
existing programs and standards ;)

Linus