Re: Thread-private mappings and graphics (was Re: Per-Processor Data Page)

David Wragg (dpw@doc.ic.ac.uk)
21 Dec 1999 01:16:06 +0000

Richard Henderson <rth@twiddle.net> writes:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 04:40:09PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > (The early alpha implementation of LD_L + ST_C was entierly uncached, and
> > just took a hundred cycles or more to generate a SMP-safe lock. Ugh.
> > Double-ugh. Intel does it in 20 cycles or so, and I think even that is
> > excessive, but they probably have good synchronization reasons for it).
>
> FWIW, I measure ev56 and ev67 taking ~40 ticks for a ll/sc pair.
> It's just ev4 that takes over 300, and there are vanishingly few
> smp ev4s still running.

Yes, but you will typically also need a memory barrier instruction,
won't you? I have seen figures (from a DEC/Compaq guy) for the cost of
an uncontended mutex lock+unlock over the Alpha generations, and it
looked to have stayed pretty constant relative to the typical IPC for
the processors. I suppose that as ll/sc has got cheaper, the memory
barriers have got more expensive.

David Wragg