Re: Very low bandwidth when using knfsd

Neil Brown (neilb@cse.unsw.edu.au)
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 09:29:47 +1100 (EST)

On Monday December 20, C.Brauckmann@alcatel.de wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Neil Brown wrote:
>
> > Ofcourse, if youyr solaris machine in 10baseX, then I have no idea
> > what is wrong.
>
> This is the case.
>
> I discussed with my administrator the new informations from your mail
> and he told me that the network I am connetcted to is 10baseT. But he
> said, there are many other machines connected to this network, and it
> could be a problem that knfsd uses UDP, because of the worse
> handling of lost fragments.
>
> So, for the moment, using the "old" nfs server seems to be the solution
> for me. Or do you have another idea to reach with knfsd the same
> performance as with the "old" nfsd?

You could try some pings with varying packet sizes to see if there is a
packet loss problem (either on the network or in your network card).

I just tried commands like:

for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ; do ping -s 8192 -c 10 remotehost & done

I got 6 concurrent pings not losing packets, but 7 did - this is from
an 100bT machine to a 10b2 machine. If you get packets losses with as
few as 3 current pings, then it is probably network problems. If not,
the problem is probably else where.

You could try setting the rsize and wsize on the mount to 1024 to
avoid fragmentation.

NeilBrown