Re: How to upgrade boot floppy

Mon, 20 Dec 1999 17:18:38 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Bill Wendling wrote:

> Also sprach Neil Aggarwal:
> } Chris:
> }
> [snip...]
> }
> } When I booted from the floppy, I got a BUNCH of messages
> } saying that /boot/System.map has an incorrect version
> } number.
> }
> } I re-read the kernel howto and it does not seem to cover
> } this case at all.
> }
> } I dont know if I need a lilo boot disk or what.
> } I am new to this an trying to figure things out.
> }
> Maybe if you copied /usr/src/linux/System.map to /boot/System-2.2.13 and
> then sym linked System.map to it?
>
> That could work...
>
> Bill

When I test kernels and I want to make a boot floppy, I use this script:
---------- cut -------------
#!/bin/sh
#
# Created 21-JAN-1995 Richard B. Johnson
#
cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /tmp/vmlinux
ROOTDEV=`df / | cut -d ' ' -f1 | sed -e1d`
echo -n 'Setting root device as ' ; echo ${ROOTDEV}
rdev -R /tmp/vmlinux 1
rdev /tmp/vmlinux ${ROOTDEV}
cp /tmp/vmlinux /dev/fd0
rm -f /tmp/vmlinux
psupdate

The first `rdev` command tells the kernel to mount root r/o to start.
The second `rdev` command tells the kernel the root file-system to mount.
Then the modified compressed image is just copied to what will be
the boot-floppy (Drive A:) on startup.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.13 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).
Warning : The end of the world as we know it requires a new calendar.
Seconds : 974482 (until Y2K)