Re: background colors revisited...

Jon Mitchell (jrm@freedom.swc.com)
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 07:49:04 -0600

The following was stated by sim@stormix.com:

> On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 04:14:56PM -0600, Jon Mitchell wrote:

> > background colors and they seem to work. However, they work differently
> > from other terminals I'm used to such as relisys or DOS. When using them,
> > if I print characters out while having background colors on, only those
> > characters are high intensity, but the rest of the line reverts to the
> > same color with normal intensity. Is there any way to change this
> > behavior (so that the whole line has the high intensity background color)?
> >
> > I've checked the SVGATextMode documentation and haven't found anything
> > related.
>
> Hmm...You mean, the automatic colouring of the next line when the
> terminal scrolls while a background colour is active? Hmm...that's a
> tricky one. :) Hmm...Perhaps the console code right now doesn't take into
> account the high intensity (sometimes blinking) bit when it clears the
> next line. I guess it wouldn't break anything if it did regardless of
> the VGA state, as an empty line with the bit enabled in blinking mode
> won't show anything blinking, so making this change shouldn't harm
> anything.

I believe you are saying the same thing. Scrolling is one of the problems
where this really looks wacky. I don't believe this is the correct
behavior, or at least, is not the same behavior as a VT420 or relisys
terminal have (the only two color terminals I use).

> I tried digging through the console code to see if this is the case, but
> the multiple function pointers with hard-to-grep names are making my head
> hurt. Maybe somebody else more experienced with the code can check this
> out.

Likewise, is gibberish to me as well. I would mail this to the maintainer
but I only see a maintainer listed for SVGA not for the console code.
Alan?

--
Jon Mitchell
Systems Engineer, Subject Wills and Company