Re: [Fwd: Dual Celery on BP6]

Mike Frisch (mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org)
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 22:26:21 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Ted Sikora wrote:

> Even if thats the case it has proved to be one of the most stable boards
> ABit has ever made. Aside from the ocassional errors from kernel-2.2.33

This really doesn't say much for ABit's stability. It certainly is not
the most stable board out there (Ars Technica mentions this, for instance)
My opinion is that either the BIOS is still terribly flawed (we can only
hope the problem(s) are something remedied with a BIOS update) or there is
actually a hardware flaw they either ABit is not aware of or will not
recognize.

If the problem(s) are not solved by the time the warranty expires, I'll be
returning mine.

> it still runs perfectly. I think we may be making more out of this than
> is what's really wrong. My system for example with 2x400 is currently

There _has_ to be some sort of performance hit in that if there's an APIC
error, there presumably has to be a retry on the operation. Sure, it may
not manifest itself in everyday operations, but it's certainly there.

Mike.