Re: insmoding aha152x never returns in 2.3.33

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 11:46:26 +1100

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999 00:53:10 +0100 (CET),
eduard.epi@t-online.de (Peter Bornemann) wrote:
>I think the subject says it all. When I try a "modprobe aha152x", the
>prompt never returns in 2.3.33. lsmod shows the following (besides
>lots of other modules):
>
>aha152x 24660 (initializing)

Which says that aha152x has not returned from its initialization
routine. It is kernel code, not insmod, that determines this.

>But this initializing never completes as to lsmod. However
>dmesg says everything is OK:
>aha152x: auto configuration: ok, detected 1 controller(s)
>aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x140, IRQ=9, SCSI ID=7,
>reconnect=disabled, parity=enabled, synchronous=disabled, delay=100,
>extended translation=disabled
>aha152x: trying software interrupt, ok.
>scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 1.7 $
>scsi : 1 host.
>
>So the driver itself seems satisfied whereas kmod doesn't know this.

I would expect more messages, including a device scan. In any case,
the problem is in kernel code, not kmod/modutils. Something in aha152x
startup is hanging so the init_module() syscall is not returning to
insmod. Ask the aha152x maintainer.

>modutils are:
>
>peter@eduard:~ > depmod -V
>depmod version 2.3.8
>depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.3.33/modules.dep
>
>The last message "Can't open..." is also funny, the file exists and is
>world-readable. Maybe it's the unfinished insmoding.

No, it is a misleading message. What it should say is "Can't open
/lib/modules/2.3.33/modules.dep for writing". I will fix this in
modutils 2.3.9.