Re: [Fwd: Dual Celery on BP6]

Derrick Steed (derrick@m-steed.freeserve.co.uk)
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 20:22:48 -0000

Another 5 pence worth.

War story: I remember when I worked a hardware engineer 20 years ago - power
supplies were an issue then too. It's not just the PSU, it's also the
distribution of that current from it, poorly laid out distribution can ruin
a good PSU.

I am not defending ABIT, it seems as though they may not have designed
sufficient tolerance into the board - as a consequence the variation we are
seeing may be due to production tolerances yielding boards which don't work
( I have seen this sort of thing before - even the prototype eventually
failed, even though it worked originally).

I may be teaching a few granny's here, but go fetch your eggs anyway...

Make sure the wires from the PSU are tied tightly together (this reduces the
inductance and so lowers the PSU impendance - a good thing!).
Make sure the current is evenly distributed amongst the devices that need it
(this reduces the average amount of current carried by a particular bunch of
wires - also a good thing!)

You will notice, it you look at the board that the area around the
processors and other high current demand areas is festooned with capacitors
(these increase the capacitance between the traces and so lower the AC
impedance of the supply seen by the processors - another good thing). Are
any of these broken? have a look, it WILL have a BIG effect if they are,
especially at higher frequencies!

Also, note that if you have introduced increased inductance by spreading out
the PSU wiring, this will combine with the capacitors capacitance to make a
supply which can resonate (known as ringing - a VERY BAD thing!).

Derrick.