Re: disabling Intel PSN

Dwayne C . Litzenberger (dlitz@cheerful.com)
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 22:16:35 -0600

--4SFOXa2GPu3tIq4H

On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 05:49:46PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Followup to: <Pine.LNX.4.21.9912152237530.27086-100000@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.=
uk>
> By author: Matthew Kirkwood <weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >=20
> > Under Linux, the PSN is just disabled. It's not a useful feature,
> > nor is it useful information, so it is turned off a boot time, not
> > to be reenabled.
> >=20
>=20
> I disagree with this sentiment: there are applications for which this
> is a desirable feature. It would be better if this was a kernel
> command-line option, even if the default would be off.
>=20

Why don't we just leave it disabled in the regular kernel, and force users
to hack up the source themselves to keep the PSN enabled. That way, a
network admin can use his own custom kernel on his machines (eg. for
identifying machines with no ethernet), but software vendors can't force
the PSN upon us because it's not supported on most dummies' computers.=20

Or enable it and only use free software, but that's a whole different issue.

--=20
"I already have all the latest software."
-- Laura Winslow, "Family Matters"

Dwayne C. Litzenberger - dlitz@cheerful.com

Advertising Policy: http://www.redrival.com/dlitz/spamoff.html
GnuPG Public Key: http://www.redrival.com/dlitz/gpgkey.asc
Fingerprint: 0535 F7CF FF5F 8547 E5A5 695E 4456 FB6C BC39 A4B0

--4SFOXa2GPu3tIq4H

--4SFOXa2GPu3tIq4H--