Re: background colors revisited...

Simon Kirby (sim@stormix.com)
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 01:21:52 -0500

On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 04:14:56PM -0600, Jon Mitchell wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> Thanks for everyone pointing out the way to use high intensity background
> colors instead of blink mode. For those that missed out, there is a
> parameter in the SVGATextMode config file, TextConfig, that allows you to
> use 16 colors instead of eight.
>
> When I enable this parameter, I definitely can use high intensity
> background colors and they seem to work. However, they work differently
> from other terminals I'm used to such as relisys or DOS. When using them,
> if I print characters out while having background colors on, only those
> characters are high intensity, but the rest of the line reverts to the
> same color with normal intensity. Is there any way to change this
> behavior (so that the whole line has the high intensity background color)?
>
> I've checked the SVGATextMode documentation and haven't found anything
> related.

Hmm...You mean, the automatic colouring of the next line when the
terminal scrolls while a background colour is active? Hmm...that's a
tricky one. :) Hmm...Perhaps the console code right now doesn't take into
account the high intensity (sometimes blinking) bit when it clears the
next line. I guess it wouldn't break anything if it did regardless of
the VGA state, as an empty line with the bit enabled in blinking mode
won't show anything blinking, so making this change shouldn't harm
anything.

I tried digging through the console code to see if this is the case, but
the multiple function pointers with hard-to-grep names are making my head
hurt. Maybe somebody else more experienced with the code can check this
out.

Simon-

[ Stormix Technologies Inc. ][ NetNation Communcations Inc. ]
[ sim@stormix.com ][ sim@netnation.com ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]