Re: [Fwd: Dual Celery on BP6]

Joel Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 21:57:25 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Mike Frisch wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Aaron Holtzman wrote:
>
> > It's capable of 100MHz as long as you meet the cooling requirements.
> > With two cpus, the chipset is required to do almost twice as much work.
> > The heat has to go somewhere...
>
> I am definitely not disputing this point, but it appears the even those
> who have changed the gree heatsink with something larger and lowered this
> chip temperature substantially are still experiencing the problem
> (overclocked or not). Are you of the opinion that this is entirely a heat
> problem?

The bx chipset was designed to support dual cpus running at 100mhz fsb...
unless the chipset you have is defective or you've had to goose the
voltage to the cpu's , any issues you see relating to the overclock should
be cpu related. first generation bx dual boards such as the tyan 1832 have
no heatsink at all and appeared at the time to operate nominally with the
pII-350/400's of the era.

> > My bp6 2x366 box locks up solid with a mean period of about one week.
> > I really wish I could tell if it's my hardware or the kernel choking
> > the chicken. Anyone want to lend me a 32 channel high speed logic
> > analyzer?
>
> I noticed regular lockup problems on the 2.2.x kernels when others (not
> specifically BP6 users) noticed them. 2.3.x has been quite a bit better,
> but my machine is typically not up a week (intentionally) due to other
> commitments.

my experience with mixed lots of 366 cpu's was that somewhat less than 40%
were what I'd describe as"stable" at 550mhz, which led me to conclude that
implementing dual 550's on a large scale was not feasable. I've settled
for dual 466's and 500's which appart from lower fsb speed (and lower
stream scores) seem to perform reasonably.

regards
joelja

> mike.

Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E