re: RasterMan on linux and threads

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 02:17:15 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Stephen Frost wrote:

> No, pthreads changed that, from my understanding. linuxthreads did
> it all in one thing w/o ever actually calling the kernel 'clone'. pthreads
> properly calles 'clone' and therefore each thread gets it's own PID and as
> such can be scheduled on any CPU. (Well, that's not the direct reason, but
> you know what I mean).

LinuxThreads was using clone() ever since it became production quality. I
do not know what you mean by 'pthreads', if you mean glibc's pthread.h
API, that is the merged-in LinuxThreads code. (which merge was done some 2
years ago)

> [...] The first
> threading in Linux was done all in user-space, IIRC. Which meant that it
> couldn't because a single process (to the kernel) won't get multiple CPUs.

a clone() capable LinuxThreads has been around for at least 3 years.

-- mingo