Re: VM : killing process ...

Frank Bernard (fb@fbit.de)
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 22:31:00 +0100 (CET)

Hello Pascal,

I _know_ your kernel is 2.2.13/2.2.14pre, mine is 2.3.33+patches.
It's clear where the messages are coming from, and they must have a common
reason. To make it easier to debug for people who can do that (I can't),
it's better to sum up the situations where those messages arise.
The observation I've made is that is I linked a program ("linuxrc" i.e.)
statically, this error did not happen. If linuxrc is a shell script, using
/bin/bash (which is dynamically linked), then these errors happen.
The library version I use is libc.so.6 (version ?) with linker
ld-2.1.1.so.

In the meantime I've built a new kernel with the patches Richard sent to
me. Same effect as before : "VM: killing process modprobe" (50 times),
then my bash script is executed, goes away and
"modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-1" (never ending messages)
appears. (I know, net-pf-1 is "Unix domain sockets")
That comes from syslogd which has been started before.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / kind regards

Frank Bernard

Frank Bernard Informationstechnik GmbH
vanity +49 700 FIREWALL (0700 FIREWALL) phone : +49 69 477169
Dipl.-Inform. Frank Bernard fax : +49 69 47885616
Wehrheimerstr. 9 email : fb@fbit.de
60389 Frankfurt www : http://www.fbit.de
Germany http://www.linuxwall.de