Re: Thread-private mappings and graphics (was Re: Per-Processor Data

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:19:56 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Raul Miller wrote:

> So write a server that doesn't need X.
>
> No need to put it in the kernel -- all it needs is a separate process
> context.

Exactly.

I'm a big fan of X - I dislike non-standard solutions, and when I play
games (which isn't that often, admittedly), I _refuse_ to switch out of X.
I want to see my "xbiff" at the side, and I want to be able to just pause
the thing without having to "switch" to anything else.

I bet the same thing is even more true of non-games.

So I personally think that X is the #1 priority, and it's _obvious_ that
the same approach works fine for SVGA etc if people want to do it - it's
not as if the kernel really knows anything at all about the client. To the
kernel, SVGAlib is equivalent to X, and it won't ever care.

It's not as if Linux was doing X functionality in the kernel, like some
unixes have tried to at points..

Linus