Re: linux crashed with unchecked malloc ??

Andre Pang (andrep-ml@vjolnir.org)
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 20:05:35 +1100

On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 07:49:33PM +1100, Brian May wrote:

> A process (wish I knew what one!!!!) started consuming all available
> memory on my computer, and it suddenly started thrashing. I couldn't
> do anything with the console, except switch from one screen to
> another.
>
> There was nothing I could do. Eventually, I got messages that
> said there was not enough memory, and the computer started killing
> of random (and relatively small) processes.

I did see a patch _somewhere_ which killed off processes more
intelligently than by a random()-ish method :). I think it starting killing
off the tasks which were asleep the most, followed by the memory hogs..

Unfortunately, since I've never have this problem, I never bookmarked the
webpage which had the page :(. You might want to try searching
www.linuxhq.com, www.kernelnotes.org and www.linuxmama.com for any hint of
'out of memory'. IIRC, the patch was for 2.2.9+.

If somebody finds the patch, I'm sure many on the list would appreciate
the URL!

--
: Andre Pang <andrep@vjolnir.org> - Purruna Pty Ltd - ph# 0411.882299 :
:               #ozone - http://www.vjolnir.org/ozone/                :