Re: disabling Intel PSN

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 05:53:39 -0500 (EST)

On 16 Dec 1999, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> > > Some of us USE the PSN for good and not evil. I hacked ssh to append
> > > the PSN of all cpus in my system in ascending order to my passphrase.
> > > That's an extra 24 bytes of passphrase that I don't have to type but
> > > still keeps me feeling that much more secure. If my passphrase is
> > > somehow compromised, I'm ok unless someone has physical access to my
> > > machine. With physical access of course, all bets are off.
> >
> > How long till the script kiddies can fake a PSN
> >

> Zero, if you mean *any* PSN. As used by Nathan, it's just 2x8
> additional bytes of pass phrase, and it is just as secure as a
> passphrase; no more, no less. (I'm saying 2x8 bytes, since the
> additional 2x4 bytes are completely predictable.)

Erm, except that because it can be determined by someone hacking
in, it means that some bad guy can potentionally determine part of your
passphrase. This isn't good from a security view. Admittedly, it's
probably unlikely they could break the passphrase in any reasonable
amount of time, but once they have part of it, it makes it easier for
them...

Stephen