Re: readX/writeX semantic and ordering

Thu, 16 Dec 1999 18:46:55 +0100

Gabriel Paubert wrote:
> I still don't see why they would want to execute the write to the device
> register before the earlier stores enters the coherent memory domain. The
> implementation complexity is probably not worth the performance gain.

They might one day have separate store buffers for different storage
domains, to support a different cache coherency protocol for example
without the complexity of having to couple the dependencies of uncached
writes with the dependencies of cached writes.

Basically, relaxing the rules /might/ make the implementation easier.
No-one knows until the next chip is implemented.

-- Jamie