Re: [security] Big problem on 2.0.x? (fwd)

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 20:31:57 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Dan Yocum wrote:

>about) between the NFS server and the kernel that produces the SYN flood

The SYN flood message said:

131.225.55.9 on 131.225.55.98:635

The NFS server is 131.225.55.98. So it's very very unlikely that the NFS
server generated the SYN flood because:

o the NFS server shouldn't use raw sockets to fill the IP header
from userspace so as worse the source of the SYN flood should be
131.225.55.98 and not 131.225.55.9

o the nfs server usually shouldn't use TCP so it's not going to
generate TCP-SYN packets anyway

NOTE: the 131.225.55.9 is not reliable. The attack could came from
everywhere in the world. You can trace it only by tracing the routing by
hand.

>messages. Maybe there's a relation there that's causing the mountd to
>die as well. I'm not intimately acquainted with the details - I just
>see the results.

Ok I understand.

IMHO the source of these problems is outside the kernel.

Andrea