Re: Ok, making ready for pre-2.4 and code-freeze..

Thomas Sailer (sailer@ife.ee.ethz.ch)
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 12:39:48 +0100

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> In article <3857E919.6285AEF9@ife.ee.ethz.ch>,
> Thomas Sailer <sailer@ife.ee.ethz.ch> wrote:
> >Martin Mares wrote:
> >
> >> Several drivers (at least sonicvibes.c) try to assign resources themselves,
> >> which is not going to work.
> >
> >Eh why not? Last time I checked it worked.
>
> It works fine, IF you follow the rules, and if you know where everything
> else in the system is.

Of course. But isn't it the point of the new resource management stuff
to have a complete list of used resources? That's why I use
allocate_resource, and when I did that piece of code I copied it mostly from
Martin Mares code...

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions, but so far noone has told me
how to do it right...

This code might probably better be moved to the PCI fixup routines...

> The PCI code does have helper functions to allocate a resource for you.

Isn't this what allocate_resource is for?

Tom