Re: Compiler/Assembler warnings <patch>

David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 08:55:06 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Alan Modra wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Chris Noe wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> > [...]
> > > GAS is not lying. The code I fixed for the second time was broken.
> > > There is no way that a "movl something, %ax" should ever even assemble.
> > > |__________________ long operand.
> > >
> > > And if you were told that warnings of this kind are preferable, preferable
> > > to whom?
> > [...]
> >
> > Segregs are an exception to the "movl xx, %ax" rule, for the reasons
> > explained below by Alan Modra:
>
> > [snip about compatibility with old binutils]
>
> Hi Chris,
> Your new bootsect code requires fairly recent binutils anyway. These
> assembly warnings might as well be fixed in 2.3. Otherwise people will
> keep posting fixes and queries, or even worse, bugging binutils
> maintainers about these warnings :-)

Why not simply add something to the Makefile that stops compilation if a
non-recent version of binutils is used?

/David
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </