Re: raid problem

Mike Galbraith (mikeg@weiden.de)
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 19:35:51 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Ketil Malde wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a RAID "array" consisting of two IDE disks, which I've been
> running a striped partition across. When I upgraded from 2.3.26 to
> 2.3.33 and added the necessary partitions (the definitions in the
> mdtab had been there for a while) for another striped /dev/md1 and
> a mirrored /dev/md2, the system refused to boot. It all ended with
> the somewhat cryptic "Got md request, not good..." message from
> block/drivers/md.c (I suppose), whereupon the system hangs.

Hi,

I ran into the same thing. I got it working, but :)) have no idea
why it works. Don't do this unless you like to tinker and don't mind
the occasional mushroom cloud.

What I did <cringe> is first, comment out the message. That is only
important after the box actually mounts an fs, but then it gets VERY
noisy. Secondly, I copied make_request() to a new function I called
make_request_redirect() [for some pretty foggy reasons]. Thirdly, I
changed md_make_request() to use make_request_redirect().. same in
raid1.c. This works just fine, (tested raid0 and 1over0) but looks
dainbramaged as all hell.

The only thing different in make_request_redirect() is the 'r'..
q = get_queue(bh->b_rdev);

I shouldn't post this, but I'm curious enough to take a toasting :)

-Mike