Re: When is a kernel VA not a virt_to_xxx() address?

Pauline Middelink (middelin@polyware.nl)
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:33:38 +0100

On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 06:54:38PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > I've allocated a buffer in kernel space using vmalloc(). I had originally
> > thought that I could just do a virt_to_bus() in order to get the PCI address
> > of the buffer. Looking through various other drivers, I'm seeing them go
> > through the pgd/pmd/pte before calling virt_to_bus().
>
> Bret,
>
> Check out how the latest bttv and Zoran drivers use vmalloc. grep for
> vmalloc in drivers/char.

Errr, I don't use vmalloc in the zoran driver, I need continuious
physical memory, so __get_free_pages is my friend...

PS. Please don't use the zr36120_mem.c as an example. It su**s.
It taken literaly from bttv.c and much of it isn't used. I have
a patch in the works which cleans this lot up and more :)

Met vriendelijke groet,
Pauline Middelink

--
PGP Key fingerprint = DE 6B D0 D9 19 AD A7 A0  58 A3 06 9D B6 34 39 E2
For more details look at my website http://www.polyware.nl/~middelin