Re: Kernels do not compile anymore

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 22:03:04 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Horst von Brand wrote:

>Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 15:58:16 -0300
>From: Horst von Brand <vonbrand@pincoya.inf.utfsm.cl>
>To: mharris@meteng.on.ca
>Cc: Linux kernel <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
>Subject: Re: Kernels do not compile anymore
>
>"Mike A. Harris" <mharris@meteng.on.ca> said:
>
>[...]
>
>> These problems occur only with devel kernels, and possibly on
>> very rare occasions with stable ones. Saying that these
>> compilation problems puts things in the distributors hands is
>> rediculous. I've NEVER seen ANY distribution release a dist with
>> a development kernel. (That is speaking of the mainstream widely
>> used dists like RedHat, Caldera, etc - MAIN RELEASES - not beta
>> releases).
>
>There have been a few 1.3.x and 2.1.x Red Hat releases, and also Slackware
>ones, IIRC. And the first distribution of them all, SLS, was born _before_
>1.0
>
>[Just shows I've been around longer than you ;-]

I've been using RedHat since 4.x days, and have never seen any
2.1.x kernels or 1.3.x kernels in any official RedHat
distribution. Rawhide may or may not have such a kernel
included, but I've never seen an official release with any devel
kernel. The closest I've seen is a RedHat kernel that was a pre
of a stable kernel. I don't consider that a devel kernel,
because RedHat kernels are traditionally patched so much that
they contain a fair amount of stuff not in official kernels
anyways.

I know that there are dists out there that ship devel kernels,
but they are mostly hacker kernels, and are definitely not
mainstream.

Yep, SLS is certainly way before me. ;o) Slackware with kernel
1.2.8 was my first.. ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

http://www.freemware.org