Re: parport in 2.3.*

Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 17:51:42 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, David Forrest wrote:

> I haven't the latest kernel (2.2.13), but

Things have changed quite a bit since then I'm afraid:

> Make sure the parport_probe module is loaded,
> /sbin/lsmod

There's no such module any more; it's been integrated into parport.o.

> CONFIG_PNP_PARPORT:

Nope, gone.

> CONFIG_PRINTER_READBACK:

It's now CONFIG_PARPORT_IEEE1284 (or something like that).

Earlier in this thread I said that there aren't any problems that I'm
aware of other than EPP which might not work; that's not quite true. The
_default_ settings (i.e. no irq, no dma, etc.) ought to work for everyone.
The hardware-assistance code for printing mostly works, but some people
are reporting problems.

If you're having problems, it helps me if you can identify which settings
work and which ones don't. If in doubt, try leaving parport alone and not
specifying any options for anything, and see if that works. Then specify
an IRQ; only after that, specify a DMA channel. Each code path is
different.

Oh, and it matters whether or not your BIOS setting for your parallel port
is 'ECP' or not..

Tim.
*/