Re: CVS and Linux kernel

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 21:13:02 +0000

On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 09:01:06AM +0000, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> I do the straightforward thing of importing official trees with tags like
> LBT-2-3-29, LBT-2-3-30 etc and it seems to work for my needs but if there
> are some clever Linux-kernel-specific hints and tips I will appreciate
> them.

The thing I had horrible problems with in CVS was when the "vendor" branch
was actually two branches (e.g. 2.2.x and 2.3.x), *and* I wanted to keep
local code as well. At least, I think this was the problem I was banging my
head against, it's been a while since I used it[0]. In the absence of BK, and
if you can live without client/server mode and live with a few
Lisp/Emacs-isms, I can recommend PRCS.. "It just seems to make more sense" :-)

[0] I think I wrote some scripts and a text file to document the problem I
had. I can dig them out if anyone's interested.

--
"Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies."