Re: Bash Issues

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 12:47:37 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

>Which alternate charater set supports standard 256 ASCII codes just like
>a PC,

There is no such thing as 256 ASCII codes. The ASCII codes go
from 0 to 127. Grab any computer programming book off your shelf
and you can easily find this out yourself. The upper 128 codes
are not part of ASCII, and are no where near standard at all
period. *IF* they work at all you are indeed lucky. The IBM PC
style computers for the most part have a common "IBMPC extended
character set" but it does vary from here to there as I
understand it.

>and is mappable to most of the planets terminals? The ACS_*
>symbols output strange characters in the Latin1 Char set when selected.
>I am headed towards the linux box to look at ncurses ALTCHARSET.
>
>Please Advise.

Look at the source for a program that does what you are wanting
to do. Midnight Commander for example.

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

http://www.freemware.org