Re: Linux 2.2.14pre13

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:39:18 +0100 (MET)

Andre Hedrick wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Rogier Wolff wrote:
>
> > Andre Hedrick wrote:
> > > All modern drives are designed with DMA transfers.
> > > Should DMA fault out for any reason......We revert to PIOing.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Datapoint, don't have enough time to investigate further.
> >
> > - My Maxtor 27G drive ends up in PIO mode (non-SMP system, but likely
> > an SMP-compiled kernel).
> >
> > Last time I reported this, I had a WDC31600, as hda, and the maxtor as
> > hdb. Everyone was convinced that the WD was crap and causing the
> > interrupt timeouts and the switchback to PIO.
> >
> > I removed the WD, and forgot to change the jumper on the maxtor. So
> > the maxtor is now alone as drive hdb. It is still geting timeouts and
----------------------
> > then the switchback to PIO.
> >
> > I have an PIIX IDE controller. The system runs Kernel 2.2.14pre2.
>
> Rogier,
>
> You committed a mortal sin in ATA............
> You never ever mix WD and Maxtor..........on day I will document why.
> Basically these two vendors have timings that are completely incompatable
> with each other on the same channel.

Ok. Sure. That's what I was told when I first encountered this.
That's why I'm reporting this again now that the WD drive is gone.

> IMHO, WD is crap..........however, you may split the two pieces of
> hardware and they will work fine under linux and all other OS's.

Ok. Done. That's what I'm reporting: The Maxtor, generally thought of
as the better drive of the two, is still getting an occasional
timeout -> switchback to PIO. (The machine is essentially diskless
with a LARGE internal disk. Yeah, I'm weird... ;-)

> This rule of "never ever mix WD and Maxtor" is OS independent.

Sure. There is now about 130km between the two. That good enough?

> Do you mean Triton II classic PIIX?

Don't know.

Bus 0, device 7, function 0:
ISA bridge: Intel 82371SB PIIX3 ISA (rev 1).
Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. Master Capable. No bursts.
Bus 0, device 7, function 1:
IDE interface: Intel 82371SB PIIX3 IDE (rev 0).
Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. Master Capable. Latency=32.
I/O at 0xe800 [0xe801].

Roger.

 "I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was going to blame it on you."