Re: 2.3.32-pre4/SMP still doesn't boot on Compaq Proliant 1600

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:53:15 -0500 (EST)

On 14 Dec 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> In article <Pine.SCO.3.94.991214085553.7905A-100000@tyne.london.sco.com>,
> Tigran Aivazian <tigran@sco.COM> wrote:
> >I tracked it down to the hang getkey forked from rc.sysinit (RHL 6.1).
>
> It's the pgd_cache changes - they and the 64-bit locking code have some
> problems. I'll make a real 2.3.32 in a moment, that should have it
> fixed.. (broken parts reverted)
>
> Anyway, as a heads-up: 2.3.32 has the new block device queueing code,
> courtesy of Eric Youngdale (and huge thanks to Alan Cox for walking it
> over and making sure it works and is clean). Expect some drivers to be
> broken, but it looks good in early tests..

Linus, change in fs/nfsd/vfs.c is bogus - it breaks mkdir() semantics over
NFS. mkdir("foo", 0x1777); should not strip the sticky bit. With the new
code it does. Please, revert it.

Question: will you object against switching /dev/loop over regular files
to pagecache? Current variant uses bmap()+getblk() for IO and write() for
plugging the holes if backing file is sparse - definitely Bad Thing(tm).

Al