Re: [patch] fastcall-2.3.32-B6, SYSENTER/SYSEXIT support

Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 15:38:57 -0700

Peter Samuelson writes:

> [Richard Gooch <rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca>]
> > I propose a much simpler abstraction: set up a global page (which
> > always appears at a fixed address in user-space), and set up a jump
> > table. Have one jump vector per system call. That's the ABI. End of
> > story.
>
> I add my <AOL> to those who have already spoken favorably of
> this....

;-)

> > I'm happy with the page mapping idea, but what concerns me is that we
> > can end up with a kernel which has a fair bit of code data embedded
> > in it, due to the increasing number of syscall instructions.
>
> We are still talking ia32 only, right? Because the SPARC people
> would *really* have fun with this sort of proposal....

I don't see why it should be restricted to ia32. The technique can
just as easily be applied to other CPUs.

Why do you say the Sparc people would have fun? Is that "fun, as in
we can do neat tricks with this", or "fun, as in break out the
flamethrowers"?

> > Even if it's contained in __init sections, it still bloats the kernel
> > image. This is a particular problem with embedded systems. Config
> > options will help here, but we have too many of those already.
>
> Two extra options, the way I see it:

I've since come to the conclusion that the bloat actually won't be
that significant. If the __init section fits in a page, I won't care.

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca