Re: Regarding bash and 8th bit

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:21:31 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

>Thanks for the info, but why on earth does someone even have to do this
>to get the damn to work right when it should do it in the first place.
>I don't even think anyone makes a seven bit terminal anymore, and even
>if they do, who cares, we should suppport PC STANDARDS since Linux is a
>PC OPERATING SYSTEM ..... Let the 7 bit terminals display **SHIT**
>output and put the right thing on the Linux "PC OPERATING SYSTEM" based
>display instead of limitng the whole planet to 7 bits just because Unix
>had the misfortune long ago of supporting 7 bit terminals?
>Geeezzzzz.......

Whoa Jeff. You have really underlined your lack of
professionalism and lack of understanding of the breadth of
Linux, and UNIX in general here.

Linux was originally a PC operating system, and is mostly used on
PC based systems using x86 processors, however it is NOT the ONLY
platform on which Linux is used. A perusal of the arch directory
easily shows the numerous platforms on which Linux runs.

Breaking backwards compatibility with old equipment for no real
good reason is not in the style of Linux. I personally have no
need for 7bit terminals, and am not likely to ever have, however
I know that others out there in fact do have a use for them, and
likely will for some time now.

I thought that *I* was an adamant gun blazing loudmouth from time
to time, but my hat goes off to you - no contest.

--
Mike A. Harris					   Linux Advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

http://www.freemware.org