Bash Issues

Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:59:28 -0700

Alan,

All I am trying to do is get a CWorthy style interface up on Linux for
all the Netware NDS and NWFS Utils and such. On a standard PC, this is
pretty easy to do with NT, DOS, NetWare, and WIn95/98. I've got a
single source Lib that handles all of them for CWorthy -- For the DOS
version, it's direct screen writes, for NT the Console Text APIs, and
for Linux it's (n)curses, except Linux has the poorest look and feel of
the three because the default for these shells don't let you use all
ASCII charaters to make cool little boxes and such without a lot of work
and research into how shells work.

Again, the point that is missed is that for all you "unix hacker guru
types" having to do "set meta-on" an such in a /.inputrc file may not be
a big deal, but end user customers are lazy and don't want to do a weeks
worth of research just to get their displays to look like what they are
used to with NetWare, DOS, NT, Windows 95/98, etc. I know you guys
think I'm anal here or something, but I am trying to make this easy for
our folks who will buy a Caldera or RedHat commercial Linux and the
stuff just works without the user needing to do all this extra stuff to
get what they can get "free and easy" from Microsoft and Novell (like
simple text graphics support for utilities).

Jeff