Re: Calling VESA BIOS routines from kernel?

Egbert Eich (eich@hilbert.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de)
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 18:30:29 +0100 (MET)

Adam J. Richter writes:

> Actually, I am a litle unclear on what exactly your
> softbooter does, but I think I have found a solution.

It basically POSTs the graphics card. Since I have all the code
there I've written a small extension to run int10 calls and dump
the pio access or whatever there is. Currently I'm working on a
user if for that.

> It turns out that Nalin Dahyabnai has written a program called
> ddcprobe that does exactly what I want from the VESA BIOS extension
> standpoint. (Anaconda uses ddcprobe.) ddcprobe uses the lrmi library
> that you mentioned to talk to the VESA video BIOS to do DDC, and one
> of the programs in the ddcprobe package actually writes its output in
> a format that can be dropped straight into an XF86Config file. You
> can get Nalin's latest ddcprobe package from
> http://www.pobox.com/~nalin.dahyabhai/sources/ddcprobe-19990825.tar.gz.
> If you install the ddcxinfo program in root's execution path, then you
> can use an updated version of my pciconf package to automatically
> generate an XF86Config file at boot time. There is an example rc.pnp
> file in the pciconf source distribution, which is avaiable at
> ftp://ftp.yggdrasil.com/pub/dist/device_control/pciconf-0.69.tar.gz.
OK.
> I am typing this message on a display that was automatically
> configured at boot time with pciconf and ddcprobe!
Xserver configuration is going to change in 4.0 to support
multihead. We would like to simplify it drastically however
this might not happen in 4.0. There are still too many things
to be taken care of and too few people helping.

> >You're welcome. Feel free to use my code.
>
> Thanks!
I've just looked at the code again and I think it needs some
restructuring.

> >What is missing however is a parser for EDID2.
>
> EDID2? Do you mean the EDID that is part of DDC 2, or is this
> yet another format of monitor timing information?
No, this is the 256 byte info block specified in the EDID3.0
ducument (or was it the other way around?)

Regards,
Egbert.