Re: gettimeofday() a special case : why?

Brian Stevens (stevens@missioncriticallinux.com)
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 07:47:45 -0600

"David S. Miller" wrote:

> Well, first of all, every single network packet which arrives at or
> leaves your system uses the guts of gettimeofday() to timestamp
> the packet.

One case in point that comes to mind is with commercial databases.
Several of them
implement their own thread package, and use gettimeofday to manage
scheduling
quantums. I've seen 10's of thousands of gettimeofday syscalls per
second on large
systems. Mapping back time (or the code) has a pretty nice win.

Brian Stevens