Re: 64-bit shm: abi problems

Christoph Rohland (hans-christoph.rohland@sap.com)
13 Dec 1999 09:28:46 +0100

Manfred Spraul <manfreds@colorfullife.com> writes:

> A few weeks ago, the shm segment size was increased from "int" to
> "size_t", but unfortunately this breaks user space compatibility on all
> 64-bit platforms:
>
> * the length of shmid_ds has changed. It would be easy to fix that
> problem: we continue to use the current structure, and lie about
> segments longer than INT_MAX.
>
> * the parameters for the kernel sysctl have changed (from "int" to
> "size_t"). I don't know if we can do that without breaking binary
> compatibility
>

> I think we should undo the size_t changes, and merge them with the
> 32-bit uid patches from Chris. 32-bit uids need special wrapper
> functions in glibc, and thus we could solve both problems together.
> [btw, glibc also uses "int" instead of "size_t" in shmget(), but SUSv2
> says "size_t".]

Yes I mentioned the shmid_ds problems before they were introduced. But
Kanoj did not see a big problem here. I still disagree.

Your proposal to combine this change with the UID changes look fine
for me.

The sysctl problems could be probably solved by changing the sysctl
number for shmmax.

Greetings
Christoph