Re: invalidate inode given block?

Peter T. Breuer (ptb@it.uc3m.es)
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 02:24:53 +0100 (MET)

"A month of sundays ago Alexander Viro wrote:"
> On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
>
> > Is there a simple way of telling a file system that it needs to revise
> > its opinion about an inode? I plan to sneak a change underneath on
> > disk, find the inode it belongs to, and invalidate it.

> Details, please. Change what? Contents of the file, inode type, ownership,
> other metadata? Answer really depends.

Any of the above, eventually. All I might know is that a block on disk
has changed, and yes, I see what you are on about. I will know that the
changes are consistent from a file system point of view. They will have
been caused by a file system operation in a remote computer miraculously
sharing the same underlying device. There isn't a write mutex right
now, but there will be. I'm just looking around to see if I can get
away without communicating higher-level info.

As a first approximation, say "contents of file". Your answer rather
leads me to suppose that that at least is possible. (Being a good idea
is another question).

Thanks for the response.

Peter