Re: READ/WRITE CDROM

Jens Axboe (axboe@image.dk)
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 23:48:41 +0000

On Sun, Dec 12 1999, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> > That won't work at all. Blocks must be written in fixed sizes,
> > set when formatting the media. This is usually 32 or 64KB,
> > depending on the media type.
>
> Well it certainly has! The media (I'm talking about floptical, not
> my new CD-RW), comes "formatted" and I can build an ext2 file-system
> on it (slowly). I have been using it for several years. We also
> use the, on Suns -been there, done that, long time --.

A CDRW and floptical are very different. The floptical type
devices work just fine with sd and so does the DVD-RAM. The
difference is than on these types of devices you can write
anything you'd like once it has been formatted. In fact for
DVD-RW you can too, since a the device will gather the data
it needs when you write a partial packet itself. That is
not the case for CD-RW.

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
*  Linux CD-ROM Maintainer