Re: READ/WRITE CDROM

Jens Axboe (axboe@image.dk)
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 23:22:46 +0000

On Sun, Dec 12 1999, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> Has anybody written a driver and made a tool to format it? The
> Adaptec BIOS won't let me format it because "Not a DISK". So I
> need to send a "format-unit" command, plus make a driver that
> makes it it look like a disk block-device. No problem, but I don't

I have written a small tool that does just that (formatting,
blanking, etc). It's a bit unfinished still, I'll send it
to you in private.

> want to do what somebody has already done.

I'm writing a packet writing layer that sits between the CD-ROM
driver and the block layer. And it's not as easy as you
might think, you need to write fixed sized packets for CD-RW,
you can't just write out whatever the requests feed you.

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
*  Linux CD-ROM Maintainer