Re: Maxtor 36G drive and Promise UDMA66 oddities

Guest section DW (dwguest@win.tue.nl)
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 19:58:15 +0100

On Sun, Dec 12, 1999 at 11:15:47AM -0500, Dennis Boylan wrote:

> Using 2.3.29 setup for uniprocessor, I can get the kernel to recognize that the
> drive has 70720 cyls, but gets upset that the partition table is bad. The
> partition table was built with a stock Redhat 6.1 install. The boot parameters
> that I used were "ide0=0xfce8,0xfcf6 hda=65535,16,63". Pretty nasty, but it
> worked. Also, with these parameters, the system has a problem talking to the
> partition table. Fdisk and Cfdisk both crash, but the kernel recognizes the
> partition table just fine.
>
> Any suggestions on how to see all of the drive?

(i) Don't say hda=65535,16,63 - you are telling the kernel that the drive
is smaller than it actually is. The kernel is quite able to find out how
large this drive is without your interference.

(ii) "Fdisk and Cfdisk both crash". Very unlikely, if your definition of
crash resembles mine. Anyway, if anything is wrong with *fdisk, tell the
fdisk maintainer at aeb@cwi.nl. Mention what version you use.

Andries