Re: Kernel panics when using 64MB+ RAM

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 13:26:04 +0300 (MSK)

In <19991211214245.B364@linux.com> Marius Aamodt Eriksen (marius@linux.com) wrote:
> Hi,
> I've had a problem with my system, it goes like this:
> When I boot the system with my full amount of RAM (128 MB), it always crashes
> (at one point of another), a complete freezeup rather. It complaints about
> "Ther kernel is not able to handle null pointer at virtual address..."
> Sometimes, even MagicSysrq fails to save my day with this error. However,
> if I boot with 64MB RAM (linux mem=64M) the system works perfectly. First I
> thought it might have been some bad RAM, but somehow I doubt that would lock
> up the whole system, it just seems unlikely, especially with thought to how
> Linux is designed.

Linux is NOT designed to cope with bad RAM or overclocked CPU. If you can
swap RAM banks try to do this. It shurely looks like faulty RAM. Or faulty
motherboard (some Pentium motherboards can not sanely handle more then
64MiB RAM). One changed bit in kernel structure can sent kernel to hell.

> Can anyone cast some light over this?

Not without parsed kernel Oops I afraid. And even then if Oops are in
different places in different incarnations it's more like bad RAM then
anything else.