Re: Modular fb-devs - unresolved symbols.

Michael Elizabeth Chastain (mec@shout.net)
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 12:18:17 -0600

Keith Owens writes:

> In that case, you may as well forget about .a files and go back to
> individual .o files.

Actually, this works pretty well.

The regular Makefiles are moving in this direction (replacing .a files
with .o files), and I haven't seen any problems as a result. Have you?

The disadvantage of .o files is that mistakes in the Makefiles may cause
the kernel to get a little bigger than it needs to be, and no one will
notice. It's a simplicity-versus-size trade-off.

> The point of .a files is to only link code into the kernel if it is really
> needed. Most of the time it works but one case is not covered at the
> moment - when the only reference to some builtin code is from a module.

*Two* cases are not covered: references from modules, and code that
has an init section.

> A manual alternative is define a macro to force a symbol to be linked
> into the kernel.

Interesting. IMHO it would be simpler to change video.a to video.o.
But I would be comfortable with "force_link" if Linus prefers that approach.

Michael