Re: very odd hardware clock behavior

Steve Underwood (steveu@infowebtelecom.com)
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 12:28:21 +0000

Guest section DW wrote:

> [...]

> (On the one hand, nobody is in a half hour time zone.
> On the other hand, last I was in Nepal the time difference
> with China and India was an integral number of hours plus/minus
> a quarter of an hour. On the third hand, still other time differences,
> like 20 minutes, occur in sufficiently obscure places. This += 30
> does not belong in the kernel - as this entire 11 minute business
> does not belong in the kernel.)

Eh? The whole of India is 5 1/2 ahead of GMT (India Standard Time - IST). The whole of
China is 8 hours ahead of GMT (China Standard Time - CST). I don't know where you saw
odd 1/4 hours. Maybe that's actually a Nepal oddity.

With an appreciation of time zones like that you should work for Microsoft. A good 20%
of the time zones in Windows are wrong, and inconsistent between versions.

Steve