Re: "Internet Keyboard" support for Linux

Guest section DW (dwguest@win.tue.nl)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 20:47:24 +0100

On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 09:54:29PM +0000, Ryan Lortie wrote:

> > >If you want to use these, attach keycodes using the setkeycodes utility.
> > >Then attach actions or strings to these keycodes using loadkeys.
> > >
> > >Andries
>
> Simply attaching strings and such to the keys are not acceptable. I want to be
> able to have keypresses send signals, launch applications, do netscape -remote
> stuff, etc, etc
>
> My system involves a kernelspace driver to intercept these codes, and a
> user-space daemon to process them.

OK. From your letter I got the impression that you thought that this
keyboard required special hardware support. But the hardware is
handled fine, and you want to have a hook where a kernel module can
be called for given scan codes or key codes (or mouse events, ...).

In your case it is probably easiest to use setkeycodes to assign keycodes
to these keys, and put your hook at the keycode level.