Re: Alpha: virt_to_bus/GFP_DMA problem

Richard Henderson (rth@cygnus.com)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 10:27:42 -0800

On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 05:39:06PM +0100, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> Yes it does, ISA DMA by definition is limited to 24 bit on the bus
> side afaik...

Not necessarily. I have ISA PnP cards that work just fine.
They must therefore be decoding all 32 bits.

But in general we don't cater to ISA on Alpha and ignore
such DMA limits unless otherwise constrained by shoddy MB
hardware. This strategy worked fine until this recent batch
of broken PCI sound cards came out.

My advice is to just shun folks that can't be bothered to
implement PCI 2.1 properly. There are other cards out there
that work correctly and that are no more expensive.

r~