Re: Per-Processor Data Paget

Thomas Duffy (tduffy@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 09:18:50 -0800

David Lang wrote:

> in that case you still have one thread per connection. I am not saying you
> spawn a new thread, re-using an old thread is just as good.
>
> David Lang

Ok, I guess I was unclear. You would set up some number of threads, lets say
2x where x is the number of cpus. Then you multiplex the connections on these
threads using standard "select" system call. In this case, you have a fixed
number of threads, but a variable number of connections.

But the point remains, that you are not doing a huge number of clones all the
time.

-Tom Duffy
SGI, Core Linux