Re: Alpha: virt_to_bus/GFP_DMA problem

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 16:53:10 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Ingo Molnar wrote:

>ack, now i understand, this is on the _Alpha_, stupid me. It should be
>really trivial to create a 16MB GFP_DMA zone on the Alpha (right now it
>creates one single zone). Could you try the attached patch?

Wrong. The alpha is not creating a single zone. Try to run 2.3.31 on a
ruffian. You'll have the DMA zone and the no-DMA zone. TWO zones. The DMA
zone between 0 and 16mbyte. The no-DMA zone between 16mbyte and the end of
memory or at max 2g.

On other platforms that can do ISA_DMA on all memory there's only one zone
of GFP_DMA. But that _must_ work fine or we are very buggy also on 2.2.x.

>probably the right solution is to introduce an Alpha-specific DMA24BIT
>zone?

The alpha just have a DMA24BIT in the platforms that needs it.

Andrea