Re: Number of sound channels?

Derek Fawcus (derek@spider.com)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 15:11:21 +0000

On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 02:04:36AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > This is kind of an unrelated question. Has anyone ever
> > implemented software mixing such that /dev/dsp can be opened
> > for output multiple times? Or is that functionality going
> > to remain strictly the domain of esd?
>
> The commercial OSS did. We regard it as the wrong answer.

Care to elaborate why? Or are you only referring to when the driver is
attempting s/w mixing.

> Esd is one approach although esd itself is currently very very limited
> in its facilities. For example many of my sound cards have 6 or 8
> channels, but esd only knows how to use one and always software mix
> for it. Needless to say this isnt ideal

I'd have thought you'd want to be able to open the soundcard as many
times as you want and 'grab' a subset of the available channels.

The only other approach would be to allow one open, export all channels,
and then have a super-esd that subsequently re-exports to apps.

DF

--
Derek Fawcus                                                    derek@spider.com
Spider Software Ltd.                                        +44 (0) 131 475 7034