Re: Portable binary modules

Bernard Wei (bwei@home.com)
Thu, 09 Dec 1999 09:35:39 -0800

Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:

> (Note, I didn't want this for a "binary only" module. I just want to
> be able to compile a module exactly _once_, not once for each
> workstation I administer.)

For easier maintenance, you should be installing the same kernel image
for all your workstation anyway. So no matter how the module is designed,
you will only need to compile it once, during kernel build.

When you need to add module, you just need to compile the module on your
reference machine and apply it to all the workstations without re-compiling
the image. The worse case scenario is that you need to replace the kernel
image together with the module. I don't think binary compatible module
will simplify things much.

--
Bernard Wei                              -o)
bwei@home.com                 o)  o)     /\\