Re: [linux-fbdev] Re: atyfb with 2.3.30 ond x86

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Wed, 08 Dec 1999 21:19:29 -0500

James Simmons wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Egbert Eich wrote:
>
> > > Personally I would rather avoid BIOS altogether...
> > >
> > For initializing it is still the safest!
>
> I have seen many broken BIOS in my time. I wouldn't say its always the
> safest. Also the BIOS might not set the cards at the best possible values.

In a perfect world we could do both. :) S3 for example tries to pack a
lot of logic into their BIOS, but there have been some bad bugs in it,
in the past, too.

> > I can only repeat myself: Graphic chipsets have so many
> > parameters for memory size, memory layout, memory timings
> > on notebooks: voltages, display properties bus types and
> > whatever you can think of.
> > Please tell me how you want to probe all that!!
>
> The docs from the video card company should tell you how.

Not the really important stuff... Most video cards you can reprogram
the modes, but memory timings are often up to the board not chip maker.
The only place the board maker can store their funky logic is in the
BIOS. Sometimes you can simply read the BIOS data and act upon it,
sometimes not [without the BIOS source code anyway].

Regards,

Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Just once, I wish we would encounter
Building 1024            | an alien menace that wasn't immune to