Re: Yamaha Sound Drivers

David Whysong (dwhysong@physics.ucsb.edu)
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 15:48:11 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Alan Olsen wrote:

>I am wondering on the status of sound drivers for the newer Yamaha sound
>chipsets.

It's blacklisted by ALSA due to lack of programming information.

>I have a laptop with the Yamaha YMF-744B chipset in it. (The Sony Vaio 505ve
>to be exact.) Checking the 2.3.30 kernel, I see it is not supported as of
>yet. (Unless I am missing something.)

I have the same model laptop. No, you're not missing anything. I have been
in contact with someone at Yamaha about this issue, unfortunately specs
are not available without an NDA for now.

>Is someone working on this chipset at the moment? Is it overlooked? Do they
>need docs? The current docset for this chip and a number of others can be
>found at http://www.yamahayst.com/pcaudio/download/index.htm . The docs appear
>to give enough information to do a driver, but I am not certain not having had
>to write one.

[...]

Unfortunately the documents available from the web do not contain
sufficient information to write a driver.

>Hopefully this information is of some use. I would like to get sound working
>on this little box. ("It's waffer thin!") At least to stop badly written apps
>with sound from coreing.
>
>I am willing to help test drivers for the YMF744B chipset, if that will help.

I suggest you email or call Yamaha and POLITELY suggest that they make the
relevant documents available to the Linux community without requiring an
NDA.

Dave

David Whysong dwhysong@physics.ucsb.edu
Astrophysics graduate student University of California, Santa Barbara
My public PGP keys are on my web page - http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~dwhysong
DSS PGP Key 0x903F5BD6 : FE78 91FE 4508 106F 7C88 1706 B792 6995 903F 5BD6
D-H PGP key 0x5DAB0F91 : BC33 0F36 FCCD E72C 441F 663A 72ED 7FB7 5DAB 0F91